For me this time of the year isn’t just about refuelling and recharging my body, mind and spirit. It is also an important time to reflect on how I am travelling – both personally and professionally.
You’ve probably heard others extolling the virtues of incorporating refection time as one of your regular disciplines. But have you ever wondered why this simple practise is so important?
Something I have noticed is that business has a habit or repeating itself mindlessly (mind-less-ly) - unless we become mindful. In fact you can substitute the word ‘business’ for ‘life’ - because life too has a habit of repeating itself mindlessly unless we become mindful.
In other words, unless we pause every now and then to reflect and take stock, chances are we’ll be operating on auto pilot and lacking awareness.
Two of the personal qualities I see in top performing people in all walks of life is that they act ‘deliberately’ (on purpose) and with clear ‘intent’ (with purpose).
Being deliberate about what you want and do, and operating with clear purpose and intent are signs that you are fully conscious.
Future success is always built on the foundations of the past. No matter what your past looked like this will be true for you. Therefore one of the most powerful things you can do to get clear about the coming year in business (direction, focus, goals, purpose) – is to quietly reflect on the year that has just passed.
Reflecting on these 12 powerful questions is guaranteed to kick start your year in the best way possible (but they are only for serious business owners!)
Try these for starters - '3YO Reflection Questions’ …
- Is your business in a better ‘place’ now than this time last year? If so, in what way? If not, what happened?
- Are you personally in a better ‘space’ now than this time last year? If so, how? If not, what happened?
- What was your biggest single achievement in the past 12 months?
- What was your biggest frustration or disappointment?
- What do you wish that you had done more of?
- What do you wish you had done less of?
- What were the most valuable lessons learnt? (What did you learn about Yourself? What did you learn about your Business?)
- Who were your greatest supporters and personal champions throughout the Year?
- The 5 things you are most grateful for in your life right now?
- What, where and how will make you a significant contribution this year – and to whom?
- How will you measure your success in the coming 12 months? (personally and professionally)
- What’s the Plan!
If you have followed my advice and reflected on these 12 questions then you will have immediately set yourself apart from the vast majority of business owners who fall for the trap of rolling one year - into the next - and the next - and the next. If you are just as charged, upbeat and positive as we are about the year ahead then we'd love to connect and hear your story.
We are great listeners; we ask powerful and insightful questions, we have a gift for helping people bring their vision to life. We have expansive networks and are renowned for our ability to 'connect' - and we have a knack for seeing growth opportunities most people miss.
A new year in business beckons! How will you respond?